Friday, May 16, 2008

There's nothing wrong with making a million dollars, there's just something wrong with keeping all of it.

Every Friday that I get paid, such as today, I give 10% of my gross (pre-tax) income to charity. I used to give money here and there to charities when I thought of it. That is not enough. But I thought I would miss the 10%. I thought, I'm a poor grad student, that maybe I should give 20 bucks a week or something like that. But I tried it, the 10%, and I don't miss it: I can pay my bills, I can buy groceries, I can go out on the weekends. I don't really feel it, so today I'm going to start giving 15% and see what happens.

I'm not writing about this to make myself feel good, or to make you feel bad for not giving. Well, that second part is kind of a lie. I am writing about this so you will think about giving up a percentage of your wages to charity. I don't want to guilt you into it, but if guilt makes you do it, then I am okay with that. I want you to see that's it's possible, that you don't have to be rich to give.

I don't think it matters who gets it: there is the argument that we should fix problems in our own country before we help others. Does anyone of you think all of the problems in America will be fixed in their lifetime? Will that be happening soon so you can justify helping people other than Americans, or justify waiting until they're all that's left to help?

I'm not saying it's bad to help starving Americans, I'm saying that I can't look at the pictures of people in China, in Burma, in India, and not give them money. Check out either of the two charities listed on my link list: they're reputable and I usually give to them. Want to find your own charity to give to? Check out Charity Navigator to give to something you're into. Too lazy? That's okay; enjoy the musical stylings of Sarah McLachlan and she can give you options too.

I see no reason to mince words here: If you are in an economic position to read my blog, you have the ability to give, nay the moral duty to give. Starvation and poverty are not only things we have the ability to change, but as the economically elite (globally speaking) we have the duty to help. This may sound preachy: I don't give a rusty fuck. Get off your ass and donate.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i give 10% to my church every other week. my family thinks i'm nuts and throwing my money away, but i don't think so. i see where the money goes, not only does the church benefit, but it supports some outreach organizations. i feel good when i give the money. i mean there is the whole biblical God says give 10% side of it, but it's easy and i really feel good about it.
at first i thought it would hurt- i mean 10% of my gross is a pretty chunk of change. my needs are met, and really- i don't smoke pot any more, don't really drink, and i already have every CD under the sun, so why not!?

ER said...

so helping poor people is crazy, but smoking yourself stupid is not...hmm...

Unknown said...

that's my family....

ER said...

yeah, all we can do is love them.