Monday, January 11, 2010

How to Start an Apology:

I am a coward
Too afraid to end this
Or you are in love
Too afraid to end this
We both are curious
You should let go
I should let go
We can pretend
We always pretend
Or feel too much
Or don’t speak
I say too much of the wrong things
We are bound by language
Do not translate
Want everything
Of each other
I fear you’ll discover me
Hiding between the lines
Yes, me, I am the pathetic one
Of course I love you
Want to tell you all the things
Choking me in my sleep
Of course I am selfish
Everyone is selfish
But I won’t burden you
With grand gestures
Or more weak secrets
Won’t trouble you
With more pretext, context, insufferable
Flight for security but here
I am, binding myself
Holding you back
Asking for signatures
Building sandcastles
Writing again
Always writing
Providing goblets and no tonics
Sending pictures and no captions
Of course I need you
But now is not a time or a place
It is a question
It is a position
It is a regret
None of us know
What we are doing
We are all scared
We are all slipping
But with you the slide
Is a dance
The dread is my body
Becoming weightless.

No comments: