Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Lark Swooping and Swift

Lithe and cut the air, wind tatters
Swirled around and hung on themselves,
Dissolved and dissipated back to
A roving sea of the particles we breathe.

Then, her wing feathers cupped this breeze,
She glided to a stop, perched on the bookcase
And considered my upturned palm. I called
To her with your name, my tone tempered
by loss. I wanted to know this bird was you.

I shut the door, locked us in, the sheer curtains
Beckoned and you watched them ripple around
The breeze. I called to you again, wanted to see
You see me but the body just flinched, in the bird’s eyes

There was no recognition. Its little head ticked,
Registered the waning pleas from this world
For you to come back to it, my lowering outstretched arm,
Cresting waves outside, loud knocking from the other
Side of the door, a bird inside the house finding its way out.

ER

No comments: