Sunday, December 21, 2008

I've been busy

and surrounded myself with snakes and birds and all the things I missed about writing. I was on the train the other day and this really beautiful woman was sitting across from me. I couldn't stop looking at her, so before I got off at my stop I wrote a note to her, something to the effect of "you're beautiful, someone should tell you that today. So I will do it." I dropped it in her lap as I was leaving the train. I want to live in a world where strangers are honest and kind. Auden said "Before people complain of the obscurity of modern poetry, they should first examine their consciences and ask themselves with how many people and on how many occasions they have genuinely and profoundly shared some experience with another." Was my moment on the train profound? No. But it was genuine, and genuine is a start. We have to make our own magic, you know.



Public Transit

A pauper’s burial insures you never have to be alone again.
Is that what you want? To spend you life unfettered by the problems
Of others, only in death to be surrounded by the naked stranger,
One thousand strong and unflinching?

ER

No comments: